Saturday, August 22, 2009

VOICES

Urgently drawn outside into the night by some bellowing beast with flashing lights and creaking joints, I watch in relief to see that my neighbor's house is NOT being demolished. It's only an old, extremely noisy piece of equipment rumbling through the neighborhood. As it slowly, agonizingly lumbers away the voice of the beast diminishes until silence silkily rolls in.

High in the universe a streak of heavenly fire races across the sky and is extinguished. Another voice insinuates it's presence as the rustling of approaching change. The air freshens, the sound solidifies into the quaking of the poplar tree, shortly followed by the lighter, less crisp voice of the plum tree. I sit on the porch entranced, straining to hear the chorus as the pine tree whispers it's lullaby. As I gather myself to retreat to my cottage, the maple claps it's applause.

On the anniversary of Mom's birthday, my sister and I sat contemplating in my living room, enjoying the peace and quiet. The toll of a single bell sounded, followed by more bells and joined by guitars. The voice was AC/DC as they sand "Hells Bells". We looked at each other in amazement with the voice of our Mother saying "Well, Hells Bells!", as she was apt to say in exasperation, sounding clearly in our minds.

Not long ago I heard Kloyd say "Hey Mom" . Although alone in my house, it felt like he was really there. It wasn't a feeling of bad premonitions. It actually seemed that he had traveled from the future to meet me in his past somehow. I called him later on to return the greeting, but it was news to him as it hasn't happened for him yet. Give it time...






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear your voice again. The deep-down, core of your soul voice. :)